Content to me is not simply the written word. Rather, it is the entire presentation of communication, including text, image, hypertext, art, user experience, and design. Below are representative examples of work that I've done.
Web Content Writer
• Write and maintain Help Center documents and instruction sets on walgreens.com and photo.walgreens.com
• Use content management system to update and make changes to the website
• Analyze data from customer support help tickets, chat logs, search logs, and user-submitted data to craft content for optimal user experience
• Ensure continuity between Help Center, marketing, and internal customer service knowledge base
• Create site structure, establish continuity, and serve advisory role for adoption of new internal knowledge base
Financial Services Provider (company confidential)
• Research news relevant to specific regulatory issues for global financial services provider
• Create 150-200 word blog posts, edited for web using traditional style guides, meeting weekly deadlines
Data Quality Contractor
• Managed existing user-generated reviews including researching products, editing product classification, merging duplicate products, and linking to retail partner websites Shopping.com and Amazon.com
• Edited SEO copy and product descriptions, including adding and fixing HTML tags in content management system
• Proofed the work of other contractors, making final judgment calls on content classifications
Why Not Indiana
• Wrote Google AdWords copy based on researched search terms
The Material Music, Inc.
Musician / Media Manager
• Wrote press releases and secured interviews and features in local and national print, television, radio, and online publications
Account Coordinator – WIBC-AM and Network Indiana
• Curated content and developed layout for a monthly client newsletter
I've selected a few writing samples posted on my NMS Blog.
Does social media redefine neighborly interaction?
Response: Multimodal Discourse - Kress/Van Leeuewn
Summary and critique: "Here Comes Everybody: The Power of Organizing Without Organizations" by Clay Shirky
For some lighter (and maltier and hoppier) reading, here's a few samples from The Beer Student.
I can also provide additional writing samples for semi-confidential gigs I've done that I'd prefer not be public on the web. Just email me.
In April - June 2010, I was involved with a media rebrand for St. Joseph Services, a Vincentian charity in Chicago focused on providing adult education and after school programs in Chicago's Humboldt Park and Austin neighborhoods. I contributed to the graphics standards manual as well as provided interviewing and voiceover work for this promotional video. (VO is at 9:00)
Static art pieces (L to R):
Poster - Illustrator || Magazine Layout - InDesign & Illustrator || Painting - Acrylic on canvas
DePaul University – Chicago, IL 2009–2011
• MA in New Media Studies; coursework in interactive marketing, writing, usability, design, and production
Butler University – Indianapolis, IN 1999–2003
• BS with departmental honors in Telecommunication Arts, minor in Business Administration
• Proficient in Microsoft Office, media ratings and research applications, social media and blog platforms
• Experience in Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, Dreamweaver, HTML/CSS, web metrics, Google Analytics, SEO/SEM, audio and video production and editing